30 August 2008

SQL Server Troubleshooting: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 installation error

 This week I tried to install SQL Server 2008 however I got the following error: 
  “A previous release of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 is installed on this computer. Upgrade Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 to the SP1 before installing SQL Server 2008.” 

 It’s true that I have previously installed Visual Studio 2008, though once I did that I checked if there are any updates and thus I installed SP1 too. I did a quick search on Google and the first results pointed me to an article o Microsoft Help and Support website: Visual Studio 2008 SP1 may be required for SQL Server 2008 installations. It didn’t make sense; in the end I’ve installed the server but enabled the installation of the following components: 
 • Management Tools (Basic or Complete) 
 • Integration Services 
 • Business Intelligence Development Studio 

 The server was installed without problems, so I tried to install the remaining components getting the same error as above. I had to stop at that point and today, giving more thought to the problem, I realized that the error could be caused by Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express edition, which I managed to install a few months back. Instead of uninstalling Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 it looked easier to uninstall the Express version, and once I did that, I managed to install the remaining components. Actually I checked before if there is a SP1 for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express, I arrived at Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions with SP1 page, though I remembered that I have to install the Web Developer, Visual Basic and C# 2008 separately and in the end I presumed that maybe it would be easier to uninstall the existing versions and try then to install SQL Server remaining components. I haven’t tried to install the Express editions with SP1 as now I have the Professional edition.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
IT Professional with more than 24 years experience in IT in the area of full life-cycle of Web/Desktop/Database Applications Development, Software Engineering, Consultancy, Data Management, Data Quality, Data Migrations, Reporting, ERP implementations & support, Team/Project/IT Management, etc.