30 August 2008

SQL Server Troubleshooting: Adventure Works installation error on Vista

 I tried to install the Adventure Works OLTP & DW on SQL Server 2008 RTM from CodePlex though I got an error:

  “The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738.”

Initially I thought that the problem was caused by existing Adventure Works installations made on a previous CTP version of SQL Server 2008, forgetting to uninstall them when I uninstalled the CTP version. Totally wrong! Doing a little research, I found first a post on CodePlex Discussion forum mentioning that the problem could be caused by VBScript runtime because, as Toms’Tricks blog highlights, VBScript and Jscript are not registered on Windows Vista. Wonderful! I just run regsvr32 vbscript.dll command and it worked! Another situation in which regsvr32 saved the day!

 I wonder why I haven’t got the same problem when I previously installed Adventure Works database on CTP version! Could it be because of Windows Vista SP1 changes (I installed Windows Vista SP1 after SQL Server CTP)?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
IT Professional with more than 24 years experience in IT in the area of full life-cycle of Web/Desktop/Database Applications Development, Software Engineering, Consultancy, Data Management, Data Quality, Data Migrations, Reporting, ERP implementations & support, Team/Project/IT Management, etc.